Summary of experience
Tom has over 30 years of audit and accounting experience, specializing in nonprofit organizations. His responsibilities include directing engagements, preparing financial statements, composing management letters and advising clients on accounting and internal control policies.
Tom's clients include 501(c)(3) organizations, colleges and universities, independent schools and national associations. In addition, he has extensive experience performing Uniform Guidance compliance audits and engagements in accordance with Yellow Book requirements. He frequently conducts seminars for clients, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants, the Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants and other organizations on key issues facing nonprofit organizations. Tom is one of the firm experts on the COSO Framework, especially as it applied to nonprofit organizations, and one of the first in the country to complete the COSO Internal Control Certificate.
His community involvement includes:
- Finance and Administration Roundtable (past Chair)
- Board of Directors, Washington School for Girls
Professional affiliations and credentials
- Certified public accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Member of the Executive Committee, AICPA Government Audit Quality Center (GAQC)
- Bachelor of Science, accounting, University of Maryland
- COSO Internal Control Certificate Program, completed June 2016