This session will provide a comprehensive overview of a mortgage banking operation within a credit union. We will address all of the major aspects of mortgage lending including valuation and finance, profitability, interest rate risk, credit risk, the regulatory environment, operational requirements, and internal controls. We will discuss the secondary market in detail, including forward sales commitments and mortgage servicing rights. Throughout the session we include the practical, real world aspects of making a mortgage loan program work in a credit union.
Attendees will come away from the session with an understanding of the:
• Mortgage loan marketplace
• The secondary market, including mortgage servicing rights
• The economics of mortgage lending
• Interest rate and credit risk
• Regulatory rules including ATR and QM
• Operational requirements and internal controls
The session will be broad enough to provide benefit to those who have only a high-level understanding of mortgage banking and deep enough in finance and accounting to satisfy industry experts.