This includes sessions from the conference: Practitioners Symposium and TECH+ Conference (as part of ENGAGE 2020)
The Association (unified voice of AICPA & CIMA) and CPA.com launched a shark-tank style startup accelerator three years ago with a focus on FinTech and EdTech solutions. Its purpose is to foster innovation and bring emerging technologies to the accounting profession. Investment into new technologies and solutions is critical for not only staying ahead of the curve, but providing client-centric service. In this session, you will hear about trends in FinTech developments and see the 4 startup companies that make up the 2020 cohort. These solutions have a leading role in a diverse range of categories including: crypto-asset management, financial impacts of climate change, accounting task automation and cash flow management.
While disruption fuels innovation, it also creates great uncertainty. This session explores what it takes to be an adaptive leader, inspire and invest in people, and drives short-term and long-term results while navigating uncertainty.
· Identify the top 5 attributes of adaptive leaders and how to apply them in your own business
· Recognize 4 ways to inspire and invest in your team to drive results
· Determine 3 strategies for harnessing disruption to deliver results
With approximately 10% of US taxpayers owning crypto currencies and as the use of blockchain technology, in general, becomes more widespread, it stands to reason this emerging technology will have a significant impact on businesses and accounting firms worldwide. Join us as we discuss the fundamental concepts in blockchain, the implications of the current operating environment on blockchain adoption, how firms can position themselves for the advisory opportunities being created by blockchain technology and the latest on how firms are helping clients comply with virtual currency tax preparation.
· Understand the key components of blockchain and discuss use cases and their impact on the accounting profession
· Discuss the evolution of audit
· Gain insight into the latest developments in crypto asset tax
· Recognize the unique challenges of crypto tax accounting and how to guide clients
· Leverage crypto tax preparation tools to aggregate client transaction data and calculate capital gains and losses
Join this exciting special Town Hall with AICPA Leadership to hear about the latest issues affecting the profession and how we're working to help guide the way forward. We'll cover things like:
- the Firms role in business relief and restarting of the economy
- How firms are operating in new normal environment, and;
- Online platforms and new firm strategies to drive success.
· Identify your role in business relief and restarting of the economy
· Identify how to operate in the new normal
· Recognize the AICPA resources and tools
Half of finance leaders surveyed for the CGMA report Re-inventing Finance for a Digital World said that the competencies of their teams must "change significantly" over the next three years as technology takes over routine tasks and as finance teams seek to drive greater value. This is supported by a recent report co-authored by KPMG called Finance Transformation: The Human Perspective that said that more than ever, there is a need to create a more agile, strategically capable workforce. Yet under investment in people and skills means many finance professionals are ill-equipped to face a digital future.
Are we focusing on technology at the expense of the people who power it?
This session will leave you with some tools and takeaways to evolve and develop your finance talent.
· Identify how leveraging digital technologies has changed the skills landscape
· Determine how this is driving new operating models and shapes of the finance function
· Consider how skills and competencies of finance professionals need to evolve
Since the hosting interpretation became effective on July 1, 2019, practitioners continue to have questions and concerns as to whether or not performing certain services for a client related to their financial data would result in an independence violation. This session will cover some of the more frequently asked questions and issues that are coming up in practice as well as some tips on ensuring your firm is in compliance with this interpretation.
· To provide an update on the latest resources issued by AICPA related to hosting
· To give practitioners some practice tips and implementation challenges that have arisen since this interpretation became effective
Join this session sponsored by the AICPA’s Women Initiatives Executive Committee and National Commission on Diversity and Inclusion, to hear panelists not only present the challenges that women face, but also expand upon how those challenges present for women of color, and how allyship and sponsorship are critical to advancement.Speaker(s):
Kimberly Ellison-Taylor, National Commission on Diversity and Inclusion Vice-Chair and Past AICPA Chairman, will walk participants through the components of her June 9th Journal of Accountancy article entitled, “Together, we can make a difference: A 12-step plan to address racism and unconscious bias,” and provide additional context around how best to incorporate the steps.Speaker(s):
As a part 2 to Kimberly Ellison-Taylor’s Inclusion is Good for Business-A 12-Step plan session, members of the AICPA’s National Commission on Diversity and Inclusion will share their successes and lessons learned around their implementation of Kimberly Ellison-Taylor’s suggested 12-step plan to address racism and unconscious bias in their respective workplaces.Speaker(s):
In this session, the AICPA member-facing Diversity & Inclusion Team will highlight some of their activities and resources to support firms, professionals, students and educators.