This includes sessions from the conference: National Conference on Banks & Savings Institutions 2018
This session will provide attendees with an overview of tax reform measures impacting the financial services industry and will be presented in terms that the non-tax-professional can understand. Topics to be discussed include an overview of tax law changes of interest to financial institutions, discussion of current tax planning strategies for maximizing the benefit of tax reform measures and assessing the ongoing financial statement and regulatory capital impacts resulting from these changes.
• This session will enable attendees to identify significant tax law changes resulting from federal tax reform enactment that are of interest to financial institutions
• Attendees will be able to identify potential tax planning strategies that can be applied currently to maximize the benefit of the federal income tax rate reduction effective in 2018
• Attendees will be able to understand how tax reform measures will potentially change the determination and reporting of financial statement income tax disclosures and regulatory capital calculationsSpeaker(s):
Once the deal is done, financial institutions face various accounting, regulatory, operational and other issues. Join this session to hear from preparers best practices and lessons learned in dealing acquisitions both day one and day two, including accounting under ASC 805 for Business Combinations, integrating systems, culture and other operational challenges, and accounting under ASC 310-30 for Purchased Credit Impaired loans.
• Understand the accounting and financial reporting requirements for a business combination
• Learn about operational challenges of a business combination
With the issuance of ASU 2017-12, Derivatives and Hedging (Topic 815): Targeted Improvements to Accounting for Hedging Activities, in August 2017, the FASB made meaningful changes for derivatives and hedging, offering simplifications. Given the interest in adopting these improvements, FASB permits early adoption. Join us for a walkthrough of the key changes to the hedge accounting model and new hedging strategies it affords.
• Understand key changes to the hedge accounting model
• Learn what new strategies are being employedSpeaker(s):
What is the industry landscape? This session will discuss the performance of the banking industry and share our outlook for what the future holds utilizing real time trends and analysis.
• Provide information on bank operating trends from the latest quarterly disclosures
• Provide perspective on M&A and denovo activities
This panel discussion will focus on key accounting and financial reporting issues faced by community banks and their auditors. Join this moderator-led discussion for the hot topics of the day that are impacting community banks, including the latest issues on accounting, financial reporting, auditing, operational issues and more.
• Learn about latest developments on accounting and financial reporting for community banks
• Learn about latest issues impacting community banks being discussed by the AICPA's Depository Institutions Expert Panel (DIEP)
There is never a lack of questions in accounting and financial reporting. Don't miss this opportunity to ask controllers and accounting policy experts from larger banks your critical accounting and financial reporting questions.Speaker(s):
In this session, we will cover Day 1 CECL methodologies and interaction with other processes including:
• Origination and credit risk management
• Capital planning
• CECL impact on strategic planning
• Considerations for M&A activity
• Portfolio composition: managing concentration risk
This discussion will focus on the opportunities and challenges of transforming operations in finance, control and risk with rapidly emerging technologies like Robotics, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing. The session will first introduce these technologies, then cover the benefits of using these technologies, potential situations where such technologies can be used and conclude with a discussion of implementation considerations. This session will be appropriate for a range of business executives from those with little background in technology to those who may be well-versed in the subject but interested in understanding how to scale implementation in large organizations.Speaker(s):
Many financial services institutions have started their digital transformation efforts with investments in RPA and enhanced analytics. This session will provide lessons learned and leading practices from early adopters of RPA and views from subject matter experts on how these technologies will evolve and converge.
Participants will gain an understanding of:
• How RPA is being used within the industry
• The implementation challenges and roadblocks that companies have encountered during adoption
• How benefits are being realized, and what future advancements to expect in digital transformation technologies
With the initial phases of CECL implementation underway, bankers are making progress toward compliance while gaining a better understanding of the practical challenges that remain. Join SAS and KPMG LLP as they share observations from the field and provide insights on where organizations should be focusing their energy.
• How current conditions can impact the historical experience and reasonable and supportable forecasted credit losses
• Governance and control: first-line activities to ensure a governed and controlled CECL estimate
• Management information reporting and external disclosure: what information will management need to make decisions and how does it relate to key CECL external disclosures?
• ACL close process: data flows, technology, risk and accounting activities under business as usual context under the quarterly close process timeline
• The second and third line: who are they, what should they do and when do they start?