This includes sessions from the conference: EDGE Career Development (as part of AICPA ENGAGE 2018)
Join us as we run through this the current tax landscape and what key issues are top of mind in the tax profession. We will also show you how to find valuable Tax Section resources and learning opportunities to assist you along the way.
• Identify the key issues impacting the tax profession
• Know how to access Tax Section resources to help practitioners in their practice.
Work environment ranks as the number one influence for CPA exam candidate success according to AICPA research and new CPAs are vital to the future success of your firm. Invest in your CPA Exam candidates to invest in your firm. Join us to hear about CPA exam experiences from firms and let us share our CPA Culture Toolkit to help you and your exam candidates on a successful journey.
• Understand the importance of a CPA culture for your firm’s future success
• Know what tools are available to assist in the implementation of a CPA culture
In this era of unprecedented and fast-paced change, the accounting profession can go beyond disruption by embracing the limitless possibilities it offers to remain vital and relevant well into the future.
• The latest trends reshaping the accounting profession
• How technology can enable us to enhance quality in existing service areas, and provide opportunity in new service areas our clients and businesses increasingly demand
• How to evolve our skillsets to remain trusted advisors in an increasingly digital world
You’re already an expert in taxes – you know that clients’ retirement assets have varying tax consequences. But the order in which they’re tapped for income can have an amazing – or devastating – impact on the retirement portfolio. So what happens when you integrate the details of the tax code with wealth management best practices? A withdrawal strategy that can provide years of additional income.
This discovery comes from more than a decade of research published in the article, "Tax-Efficient Withdrawal Strategies," in The Financial Analysts Journal and written by William Meyer, CEO, Retiree Inc., and William Reichenstein, PhD, Co-founder, Retiree Inc. Their research shows how to combine tax-smart withdrawal strategies with sound investment management principles to help you optimize clients’ retirement income.
• Assess the impact of the new tax code on your clients’ retirement
• Use tax-smart withdrawal strategies to generate more retirement income for your clients
• Coordinate Social Security into a holistic retirement plan
• Use tax optimization with financial planning and investment management
• Create, analyze and compare tax-efficient withdrawal strategies
• Assess portfolio longevity in varying tax and capital market environments
• Produce easy-to-understand visuals and intuitive outputs for your clients
This session will:
1. Review the decline of the 831(b) Captive: tax issues, negative press and excess baggage.
2. Introduce Captive 2.0: The Private Insurance Company, and the numerous benefits and uses: Risk Management, Tax Planning, Asset Protection, Estate Planning, Investment Options and Exit Strategy. CPAs familiar with 831(b) captives will be particularly interested in the 831(b) Conversion option – which will enable clients to close their 831(b) captives under a tax free exchange.
Great leaders have courage. They make the tough choices. How do they have that courage? Is it a rogue sense of "My way is the best way?" Is it a sense of high moral values of right and wrong? In this session we'll visit some famous courageous leaders like Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Harry Truman. I'll also tell some personal stories and mix in some of the work "The Oz Principle" dealing with the Cowardly Lion and the Tin Man with no heart. Participants will understand how to add accountability by Seeing It, Owning It, Solving It, and Doing It.
• Understanding and developing the courage that it takes to lead
• Take away a simple 4 step process to add accountability to your organization.
Whether you work in business & industry, public or non-profit accounting as you move up the career ladder more and more of your responsibilities will rely on your ability to “Own” your assignments. Learning to master this art is crucial to your success as well as the success of your team. It also encompasses learning to extend that ownership upstream at times when your project may be in the hands of those higher up the ladder.
In this session we will look inward and participants will work through real-life scenarios of “Owning It". Exercises will also cover balance between "Owning It" and setting/maintaining appropriate boundaries and accountability.
This course will give participants the tools to:
• Establish best practices for effectively managing and/or participating in projects that involve group effort.
• Clearly communicate expectations with group members to maximize accountability and define responsibility boundaries.
For online audience only
Join Brad Smith and ask any lingering questions you may have on quality control for your firm.Speaker(s):
This engaging session will highlight how the services to individuals are continuing to change as tax reform drives new and far ranging conversations. Don’t just read the data, use trends in demographics, technology, and client expectations to make decisive and proactive changes today. Attend this session to gather ideas to continue to be that primary point of contact and position your firm securely for your current and future clients.
- Recognize the opportunity that tax reform presents to meet personal finance needs
- Understand how consumers perceive these services
- Identify ways to leverage key trends to make proactive decisions that will affect your firms future
- Discuss key resources to better help CPAs be successful with individualsSpeaker(s):
Do you feel like a majority of your time is spent managing crises? At the end of the day are you completely drained of energy and unable to accomplish anything of real significance? We live in a time sensitive world where overlapping commitments are the norm and the line between what’s urgent and important are inevitably blurred. How can you manage the flood of responsibilities, do quality work and maintain positivity? This interactive session will help reset your internal compass to achieve your highest personal and professional priorities.
• Time management
• Prioritization setting